Hon. William De La Peña, M.D., Dr.h.c.
Professor of Ophthalmology, Founder and Medical Director De La Peña Eye Clinic, a Medical Group, Inc.
- Cataract Surgery
- Corneal Surgery
- External Disease of the Eye
- American School Foundation, Mexico City, Mexico, B.S., 1971
- Autonomous University of Guadalajara, Mexico, M.D., 1975
- University of California, Irvine, Rotating Internship, 1975-1977
- University of California, Irvine, Ophthalmology, 1977-1980
- Moorfields Eye Institute, University of London, England, Cornea and External Disease, 1980-1981
- Louisiana State University, Cornea, 1981-1982
- American Board of Ophthalmology
Areas of Interest
- Cataract Surgery
- Ophthalmological Teaching
- Practice Administration
Awards and Honors
- Best student of graduating medical school class
- Professor of Ophthalmology, Autonomous University of Guadalajara, Mexico
- Doctor Honoris Causa, Autonomous University of Guadalajara, Mexico
- Member of the Advisory Board, Autonomous University of Guadalajara, Mexico
- Chairman and Honorary President – ALACCSA-R (Latin American Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgeons)
- Founder and president of the World Federation of Cataract and Refractive Surgeons
- Medal of Honor SECOIR (Spanish Society of Cataract and Intraocular Lens Surgeons)
- President of the Pan American Ophthalmology Foundation (PAOF)
- Distinguished Service Medal Pan American Ophthalmology Foundation (PAOF)
- The Pan American Ophthalmology Association Edward Maumenee Distinguished Service Award
- Achievement Award American Academy of Ophtalmology
- Regent, USUHS (Uniformed Services University for Health Sciences, Bethesda, Maryland appointed by President George W. Bush and confirmed by the US Senate)
- Distinguished Service Medal, USUHS (Uniformed Services University for Health Sciences, Bethesda, Maryland)
- Multiple Honorary memberships in Latin American Opthalmological Societies
- Regent, University of California, appointed by Governor Schwarzenegger and confirmed by the California State Senate.
- Awarded Regent Emeritus Title by the University of California.
- Governor of the Los Alamos and Lawrence Berkeley National Labs, LLC.
- President Professional Division US Soccer Federation
- Board Member US Soccer Foundation
- Special Representative of the United States to the United Nations
- American Academy of Ophthalmology
- American Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgery (ASCRS)
- Pan-American Association of Ophthalmology
- Latin American Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgery (ALACCSA-R)